Environmental Health and Trading Standards
Find out what Environmental Health and Trading Standards investigate and provide advice on.
For information on how we operate, or standards and fees, please see About Environmental Health and Trading Standards.
The Environmental Health and Trading Standards service covers the following aspects of consumer protection and public health and safety:
Environmental Health does not accept anonymous requests for service. For information on confidentiality see About Environmental Health and Trading Standards.
- Animal Welfare Licensing for animal boarding, pet shops, zoo, riding establishments,dog breeding, dog day care, dangerous wild animals, performing animals
- Out of Control Dogs
- Dog Straying
- Advice for dog owners
Pollution and How to Report It, including:
- air quality,
- smell (including Agricultural Odours or Smells)
- and accumulations of rubbish
- is currently being revised by Lothian Health in conjunction with relevant local authorities. A copy of the current plan will be published here, when available.
Housing conditions, including:
- Dampness in Homes,
- Dirty, Unclean, Cluttered or Smelly Homes,
- Infected, Infested or Contaminated Homes,
- Homes in Disrepair,
- Housing Immigration Enquiries,
- Smells and Odours in Homes
- New Fire Alarm Legislation
Licenses issued and administered by Environmental Health include:
Environmental Health is also consulted or advises on licences administered by Legal Services.
Planning liaison, including consultations on Planning Applications
- Drain and sewer chokes (in conjunction with Scottish Water (opens new window) )
- Drinking water quality (in conjunction with Scottish Water (opens new window) )
- Private water supplies
- Septic tank problems
- Cyanobacteria (Blue-Green) Algae
Trading Standards cover a range of areas including: