Toggle menu

Health and Safety at Work

Environmental Health investigate accidents, work-related diseases and dangerous occurrences reported to the service, taking enforcement action where necessary and giving advice as appropriate.

Enforcement of the Health and Safety at Work Act, etc. 1974 and associated legislation is split between council Environmental Health Services and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

Workplaces, which are subject to inspection by councils, include offices, retailing outlets, warehouses, hotels, catering establishments, sports and leisure facilities, consumer services and places of worship. The allocation of premises to the Environmental Health Service or the HSE depends on the work activity involved. Check the A-Z guide (opens new window) to find out who enforces health and safety at your workplace.

What enquiries we deal with:
Accidents at WorkHow to report an accident in the workplace. Enquiry about progress with an accident investigation. Certain workplace accidents must, by law, be reported under RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013). Such accidents are normally reported by the injured persons employer. Advice on what to report and how to report it is available at  HSE Riddor (opens new window).
Concerns about health and safety in a workplaceYou can raise concerns about your workplace to the relevant enforcing authority. The A-Z guide (opens new window) will help you decide who that is. You can contact the Environmental Health Service or HSE at workplace health and safety concerns (opens new window).

The HSE (opens new window) gives advice on all aspects of safety, health and welfare at work. It is very easy to use and as well as advice provides access to templates for example risk assessments. You should use this resource initially and contact the Environmental Health Service if you need more specific advice.

In order to meet the requirements of the National Local Authority Enforcement Code, West Lothian Council is required to develop and approve an annual health and safety service plan.