Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Information and Updates

Updates on council services, latest news and information relating to Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Licences, Permits and Permissions

There are a wide range of activities which require licenses and permissions from West Lothian Council and the Licensing Board.

The impact of the Coronavirus (COVID -19) continues to have a significant impact on the processing of licence applications.

If you need to get in touch with the Licensing Team, please do so by email to the following address email enquiries will be prioritised and responded to on a priority/urgent basis.

In the meantime, applications for licences and permits should be posted along with cheques or postal orders for payment of any fee required and copies of all required supporting documentation to;

Licensing Team
West Lothian Council
Civic Centre
EH54 6FF

If you are unable to post your application and fee please contact the Licensing Team by email.

Please be aware that there will likely be delays in the processing of applications due to changes in working conditions due to the ongoing situation.  

The Licensing Team administers a number of different licensing schemes on behalf of the Council and the Licensing Board. These relate mainly to:

  • Alcohol licences under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005
  • Gambling licences under the Gambling Act 2005, and
  • Various licences and permissions granted under the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982

Individuals or organisations wishing to hold certain events may need several licences or permissions. Please see Entertainment Licences and Permissions

Privacy Notices

You should be aware that as part of the licensing process information provided by the applicant will be recorded within our licensing systems and for most applications a mandatory background check will be carried out as part of the vetting process. For further information about how your information will be dealt with please see our privacy notices:

To view all current liquor licence application notices within West Lothian, please see Icon for pdf Current Advert for Applications [253.67KB] 

Please note that all the Licensing web pages are intended to guide you through the procedures associated with making an application for a licence. They are not intended to summarise relatively complex areas of the law. Anyone using these pages should obtain independent advice from their own solicitors or advice centre.

Further information may be obtained from the Licensing Team by emailing or by calling 01506 281632

The council is working to introduce online forms to apply for a number of different licences.
If you wish to sell alcohol then you will need a licence. This includes events where alcohol is provided following the purchase of an entrance ticket.
If you are organising an event involving entertainment which is open to the public you may need a licence.
West Lothian Licensing Board has a range of functions under the Gambling Act 2005
West Lothian Council as licensing authority administers a licensing scheme for taxi and private hire car vehicle and their drivers.
West Lothian Council as licensing authority administers a number of licensing schemes for trading licences under the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 and other legislation including the licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs), caravan sites, street traders, metal dealers and second hand dealers.
Information on holding public processions (parades) in West Lothian and how to make a representation about the procession or a complaint about the notification process.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon