Licences, Permits and Permissions
There are a wide range of activities which require licenses and permissions from West Lothian Council and the Licensing Board.
Please note that all the Licensing web pages are intended to guide you through the procedures associated with making an application for a licence. They are not intended to summarise relatively complex areas of the law. Anyone using these pages should obtain independent advice from their own solicitors or advice centre.
The Licensing Team administers a number of different licensing schemes on behalf of the Council and the Licensing Board. These relate mainly to:
- Alcohol licences under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005
- Gambling licences under the Gambling Act 2005, and
- Various licences and permissions granted under the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982
Individuals or organisations wishing to hold certain events may need several licences or permissions. Please see Events - Licensing Requirements
You should be aware that as part of the licensing process information provided by the applicant will be recorded within our licensing systems and for most applications a mandatory background check will be carried out as part of the vetting process. For further information about how your information will be dealt with please see our privacy notices:
- Alcohol Licensing Alcohol Licensing [174KB]
- Cinema Licences Cinema Licences [125KB]
- Civic Licensing and Notifications of Processions Civic Licensing and Notifications of Processions [138KB]
- Fireworks Dispensation Fireworks Dispensation [102KB]
- Gambling Licensing Gambling Licensing [150KB]
- HMO Licensing HMO Licences [132KB]
- Licensing consultation privacy notice Licensing consultation privacy notice [103KB]
- Sex Shops Sex Shops [135KB]
- Venison Dealers' Venison Dealers' [125KB]
To view all current liquor licence application notices within West Lothian, please see Current Advert for Applications [154KB]
If you need to get in touch with the Licensing Team, please do so by email firstname.lastname@example.org (opens new window) email enquiries will be prioritised and responded to on a priority/urgent basis.