Toggle menu

Non Residential Care Financial Assessments

Financial Assessments for Non-Residential Social Care Services

West Lothian Council supports individuals to live at home independently, safely and for as long as possible. To help us continue providing non-residential social care and support to as wide a range of individuals as possible, everyone who undertakes an outcome based assessment of needs will be financially assessed to determine whether they should make a financial contribution towards the cost of their assessed eligible non-residential care and support charges.

The Financial Assessment Team will ensure that any service user subject to a financial assessment will be:

  • Entitled to be assessed for eligible care and support needs and services provided on that basis
  • Asked to contribute towards the cost of their eligible care and support where it is practicable for them to pay;
  • Required to contribute no more than the cost of providing their eligible care and support;
  • Provided with a financial assessment before any determination is made about the level of contribution they should make to their eligible care and support services;
  • Provided with a personal income check to provide them with information, advice and support to maximise and manage their income;
  • Treated in a transparent, fair and equitable manner;
  • Provided with information and assistance when they need it.

Data Protection law gives you a number of rights including the right to make a complaint about the handling of your personal information. Complaints should be submitted to the Information Commissioner's Office or the Council's Data Protection Officer. Further details can be found on the Data Protection Section of our website.

Any service user who receives a "chargeable service" will be assessed to determine how much they can afford to pay towards the cost of those services they receive; this is called a financial assessment.
What income and capital will be included in the assessment
Information on personal allowance thresholds applicable housing costs.
What to do if you think your financial assessment might be wrong?