Local Government Election 2022 Results

The count for the election will take place at West Lothian College on Friday 6 May 2022. The results will be made available using the link above.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is administered by West Lothian Council on behalf of the Government.

Each Scottish local authority administers these schemes for their own area.

Can I claim Housing Benefit?

From the 16th May 2018 Universal Credit has been introduced in West Lothian, as a result you can only claim Housing Benefit if you meet one or more of the following conditions:

  • You live in and pay rent for a property in which you receive care, support or supervision.
  • You live in and pay rent for temporary accommodation.
  • You are liable to pay rent and have reached your state pension age, you can find out more about your state pension age here.

If you do not meet any of the conditions outlined above and require help with your housing costs, you will need to claim Universal Credit here.

If you require further advice or assistance in claiming Universal Credit, help is available at the councils Advice Shop.

What is Housing Benefit?

Housing Benefit helps you pay your rent if you are on a low income. You don't have to be unemployed or retired to claim - anyone on a low income can apply. The amount of Housing Benefit you get is worked out by looking at:

  • How much money you have coming in. 
  • Your personal circumstances and the amount of rent you have to pay, as well as the number of bedrooms you and your family require
  • The amount of savings you have (more than £16,000 will normally disqualify you).

In order to make a claim you must provide proof of your identity, National Insurance number, income, savings and all capital; this information is also required for your partner if you have one. If you are living together as a couple your income is assessed jointly.

Data Protection law gives you a number of rights including the right to make a complaint about the handling of your personal information. Complaints should be submitted to the Information Commissioner's Office or the Council's Data Protection Officer. Further details can be found on the Data Protection Section of our website.

Details of how to apply for Housing Benefit
Your entitlement to Housing Benefit usually starts from the Monday after we receive your claim or you contact us to make a claim. This is why it is important to apply as soon as possible.
Details of when and how to tell us about a change that will effect the amount of housing benefit you are entitled too.
Local Housing Allowance is a way of working out the maximum Housing Benefit for tenants who rent from a private landlord.
What to do if you think your Housing Benefit decision might be wrong?
The Discretionary Housing Payment fund is a "cash limited" fund available for "short term" assistance for those people who face "real hardship" as a result of not being able to meet their housing costs. Discretionary Housing Payments are available to assist council tenants, tenants of registered social landlords and tenants who are renting in the private sector.
Overpayments are any payment of benefit that a person was not entitled to.
The bedroom tax cuts the amount of Housing Benefit that you can get if you are considered to have a spare bedroom.
Non-Dependants are adults (aged 18 or over) who live with you but are not joint-tenants or your partner.
This form should be used to apply for a Housing Benefit on two homes payment.
Provide evidence in support of your benefit claim, DHP Payments, SWF Application etc.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon