Change in Circumstances
Details of when and how to tell us about a change that will effect the amount of housing benefit you are entitled too.
If you receive Housing Benefit, you must tell us immediately about any changes that happen to you or the people living with you which may affect how much benefit you get. Even small changes can affect how much we can pay you.
You may lose benefit if you delay telling us about a change in your circumstances. If we pay you too much benefit we can ask you to repay us.
You can be prosecuted if you deliberately give us false information or if you do not tell us of a change in your circumstances in order to get more benefit than you are entitled to.
What sort of changes do I need to tell you about?
Some of the changes you must tell us about are:
- You change address
- There is a change in your income, or in the income of anyone living with you
- Anyone moves in or out of your home
- Your capital and/or savings increase (unless they remain under £6,000 or £10,000 for pension age claimants)
- You are going to be away from home for a period of time in excess of 13 weeks.
- You are going to be abroad for a period of time in excess of 4 weeks.
- The amount you pay for childcare changes
These are only examples of changes you need to tell us about. If you are not sure if a change might affect your benefit, contact us for more information.
How do I tell you?
The Benefits Team
Howden South Road