Toggle menu

RAAC Council Housing

Concerns have been raised about the use of a type of concrete in the construction of public buildings known as RAAC (reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete). RAAC is a lightweight material which was used mostly in flat roofing between the 1950s and 1990s.

West Lothian Council has been aware of concerns about the use of this product and has previously conducted a range of surveys and inspections of  over 14,000 Houses to assess whether these buildings have this material present.  This work has identified a small percentage of council properties which have RAAC within their construction. These tenants have been advised.

We are currently reviewing the guidance in place and will be undertaking further inspection and testing works in the affected buildings over the next months.

RAAC Updates

Click on the PDF links below to access the updates

West Lothian Council Tenants

West Lothian Council Tenants May 2024 update [103KB]


Homeowners May 2024 update [110KB]

Homeowners in Common Blocks

Homeowners in Common Blocks May 2024 update [111KB]




Additional Advice and Support

If you need additional support and advice relating to your health and wellbeing or finances, there are a number of resources available to you: 


Support and Information for Homeowners

Qualified Professionals

Contact information for Chartered Structural Engineers who can assess properties for RAAC and advise on any necessary actions:

If the original construction drawings are held these can be obtained from the Council Archives where members of the public can view archived drawings. 

Please note: Archives can only supply documentation if available and cannot advise on property, legal or financial issues.

Independent Financial Advice

The following links provide information about available services and assistance. These include areas of financial support, practical support, advice as well as useful information which may assist you to increase or manage your income.

  • Money Advice Service (opens new window): This free government-backed service provides guidance on a variety of financial topics, including home repairs and improvements. They may be able to offer general advice on potential funding options for RAAC remediation, although they won't provide specific financial advice.
  • Citizens Advice Scotland (opens new window): This charity offers free, confidential advice on a range of issues, including housing and finances. They may be able to point homeowners in the direction of relevant resources or support services.
  • The Advice Shop: The Advice Shop is a free, impartial and confidential service to help the people of West Lothian with a focus to alleviate poverty and to promote inclusion and equality through advice, assistance and advocacy.  They may be able to direct homeowners to available support regarding financial wellbeing by maximising income and reducing outgoings
  • Financial Conduct Authority (FCA): The FCA regulates financial services firms in the UK, including financial advisors. Homeowners can use the FCA's website to check the firms or person they are dealing with is listed on the Register (opens new window)

The Scheme of Assistance provides homeowners with information and guidance to help them effectively maintain and repair their own properties.


Getting in contact with us

Our team are happy to speak to tenants who have any questions. Please contact us by visiting Contacting the Council.