Servicing and Maintenance
As your landlord, West Lothian Council has a legal duty to ensure that gas appliances, gas piping and flues provided for tenants use are well maintained and safe. This legal duty is set out in the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.
For information about the current work the council is carrying out on External Wall Insulation, please see our Improvements and Modernisation page.
Our responsibilities to you are:
- Ensure that gas fittings, gas pipes and flues are maintained in a safe condition.
- Ensure that an annual gas safety check is carried out within 12 months.
- Have all installation, maintenance and safety checks carried out by a GAS SAFE registered gas installer.
- Keep a record of each safety check for at least two years.
- Issue a copy of the latest safety check record to the existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed, or to any new tenant before they move in.
- For properties with solid fuel heating (e.g. oil and coal) see Solid Fuel Heating
What to expect when your gas service is due
Tenants will be sent a letter two months prior to their annual service falling due and invited to contact the Council to arrange an appointment for their annual service.
Please do not ignore this important letter.
Freephone Number; 0808 100 3353
When you receive your letter we would be grateful if you would contact us on the Gas Servicing Free-phone number 0808 100 3353where a Customer Service Advisor will be happy to arrange a suitable time and date, this telephone number is available between the hours of 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday.
Customer Satisfaction Surveys
Following the annual service tenants may be contacted to take part in a short survey about our gas service. This helps us ensure that tenants are satisfied with the quality of this necessary work being carried out in your home. The results of surveys are published in Tenants News.