Improvements and Modernisation

Planned Maintenance, Repairs, Improvement and Insurance

External Wall Insulation

In light of the tragic events at the Grenfell Tower in London, both the Icon for pdf Everwarm statement [91.35KB] and Icon for pdf Wetherby statement [207.61KB] show the information you need to know in terms of the External Wall Insulation work the council is currently carrying out.

Improvement and Modernisation

Improvement and modernisation programmes are major works that have been identified as needed for a number of council houses in your area. Surveys are being carried out on council houses to identify the work required to meet, and exceed, the Scottish Housing Quality Standards (SHQS) including Energy Efficiency Standard for Social Housing (EESSH). Our programme includes:

You will be advised if work is being carried out on or around your property.

Other Investment Programme

Smoke Detection

In February 2019, the legislation relating to smoke detection in the home changed. This means all domestic
properties in Scotland, regardless of tenure, should have the same levels of detection; increasing fire safety.

Following the tragic fire at Grenfell Tower in London, a Ministerial Working Group on Building and Fire Safety was established to review Scotland's building and fire safety regulatory frameworks. As part of this work, the group agreed that a consultation on fire and smoke alarms, originally planned for later this year, should be prioritised.

More information is available on the West Lothian Council's Icon for pdf Smoke Alarm installation program [133.0KB]

Street Environmental Improvement Projects

These projects aim to improve communal areas for tenants and you can nominate your local area. For more information, and for the application form, please see our Tenant Participation page.

Compensation for Dehumidifier usage within Council Homes

We have reviewed our procedure for compensating our tenants for electricity usage when we have to use a dehumidifier following a flood within the property.

In circumstances where a person qualifies for compensation and has arrears, either of rent or council tax, any compensation payment will normally be paid directly to the rent account or council tax accounts and the tenant informed accordingly.

Building Insurance

We insure the structure of your home. As long as you are a council tenant and have not exercised your right to buy you do not have to insure the walls, doors, ceilings, roof, chimneys and window structures.

Contents Insurance

The Council strongly advises all tenants to take out a contents insurance policy to cover personal belongings. More information is available on the insurance page.

Information on Compensation for Improvements to Council Houses you may be entitled to.
Information on what to consider if WLC are painting the exterior of your council house
The Assisted Decoration Scheme is available for the tenants of West Lothian Council who are unable to decorate their home without assistance.
Information if your council house is part of a programme of kitchen and /or bathroom replacement.
Did you know that before starting any work on improving or altering your Council tenancy, you MUST obtain the Council's permission and complete an Alteration and Improvement Application form. Please note that as the tenant, you will be responsible for paying any fees incurred in relation to these alterations or improvements.
Some information on roof and render works to council houses
As part of a replacement/refurbishment programme for your home we will remove and replace windows. The work will take around two working days.
Information on what happens when we check the safety of the electrical wiring in your council home. We will also renew fuse boxes where required and carry out any electrical system repairs that are necessary.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon