Any gas escape is considered and emergency. This is defined in the Gas safety (Installation and Use) Regulations. This article advises how an escape should dealt with.
Dealing with a gas escape
When a gas escape is reported we have two things in mind:-
- To safeguard life
- To Safeguard property
A gas escape takes priority over all other works.
We start to safeguard life and property by the advice we give tenants when they report an escape. The terminology that can be used is:-
- Controlled gas escape - a gas escape which has been stopped by turning off at the meter.
- Uncontrolled gas escape -is an escape where it cannot be ascertained that the gas is controlled.
What to do if an escape is suspected
- Turn off the gas supply
- Extinguish all sources of ignition
- Do not smoke
- Do not operate electric light of power switches
- Ventilate the property
- Make sure there is access to the property
- Contact Scottish Gas Networks on 0800 111 999.
If you are a council tenant contact the council on 01506 280000 and they will arrange contact with SGN and also for a WLC engineer to attend.