West Calder Library
Services available, business hours and contact details
West Calder Library offers a wide range of services to people of all ages:
- Books for children, young people and adults
- Talking books
- Large Print books
- Quick reads and High Low books available
- Bookbug sessions
- Free replacement NHS hearing aid batteries
- Boardmaker software
- High Vis/Large key keyboard
- Four PCs providing free computer access - PC access should be booked in advance by telephoning the library or online using the following link: My PC Booking System
- Photocopying and printing services are available in the library. Prices are displayed on the following document: Please note we are unable to accept card payments.
- One disabled parking bay nearby
- Local bus stop is approximately a five minute walk away
- Main door has disabled push button access
- Disabled flat bed lift for customer access
- Hearing induction loop system
New memberships: Details on how to become West Lothian library member can be found on our library membership webpage
Booking is essential for all activities (unless specified otherwise), please call: 01506 283550 or click the following link to email: West Calder Library
Activities for Children
Summer Reading Challenge - The Summer Reading Challenge is open to all primary school aged children and is designed for all reading abilities. Children can read whatever they like - comic books, fact books, joke books, picture books - just as long as they are borrowed from the library. Children receive special rewards each time they finish a book and there's a certificate and medal for everyone who completes the Challenge.
This year's Summer Reading Challenge theme 'Gadgeteers', is all about science and innovation. Throughout the summer the library has lots of Gadgeteer activities below to take part in:
All Summer Reading Challenge activities are from 2pm - 3pm
• Tuesday 2nd August - Classic Games and Jigsaws
• Tuesday 9th August - Award Ceremony
Summer Reading Challenge colouring-in sheets will be available to all junior visitors throughout July.
Classic Games and Jigsaws
- Every Wednesday, 11am - 12pm
Thursday 4th August, 10.30am
Activities for Adults
***NEW*** Tea n' Tablet sessions
This Summer learn all about using a tablet, iPad, smartphone, Chromebook or laptop with Adult Learning.
You can bring along your own device or use one of ours and we'll even bring the biscuits and get the kettle on! For more information or to book a place, please Freefone - 0800 731 1831 or email- email@example.com
- Tuesdays 6th & 13th August, 10am - 12pm
Year of Stories 2022 - Object of My Desire - Do you have a treasured object or item? Something that you hold dear because of the special memories it has for you and the feelings it evokes? Bring your item along to the library (or a photo of it, if it's too large to bring) and share your story with other people sharing theirs at our story-telling & writing session, led by writer Andy Manders.
- Thursday 4th August, 2pm
The Session should last around an hour but you can blether for as long as you like!
Adult Jigsaw challenge
- Pop in and help us complete our jigsaw - No booking required, just add a piece or two (or more) every time you visit the library.
Monday: 10am – 4pm
Tuesday: 10am – 7pm
Wednesday: 11am – 4pm
Thursday: 11am – 6pm
Friday: 10am – 3pm
Saturday & Sunday: Unavailable
Tel: 01506 283550
There is a car park within the grounds of the building and access is from Limefield Road. However, parking is limited with only 6 spaces available - this includes one accessible space.
Customers can access the building via one of two entrances: the main front door or the side entrance (which is fully accessible).