Local Government Election 2022 Results

The count for the election will take place at West Lothian College on Friday 6 May 2022. The results will be made available using the link above.

Hardstanding and hard surfaces

The formation of hardstanding in your garden will not need planning permission as long as it's porous or drains into your own property. A raised deck, however, might need permission (see section on Decking and other Raised Platforms), and a driveway will need permission if it's accessing a classified road.

You will need planning permission for a driveway if you live in a flat.

If you live in a house you will not require planning permission, provided that:

  • the hard surface located between the house and a road is porous or that there is provision for direct run off to another permeable or porous area within the garden.
  • if the hard surface is a driveway, it is not accessing a classified road (i.e. an A road or B road)

If you're forming a driveway, you will also need to apply to Operational Services to drop the kerb and for a Road Permit, which gives you permission to cross the footway.

You will need planning permission if your house is listed or is located in a conservation area, or in the curtilage of a listed building.

A building warrant may be required; we advise that you check before you start work.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon