Vans and Trailers at Community Recycling Centres
Find out more information about the Community Recycling Centre Booking System for Vans and Trailers.
Do I need to book before I visit?
To visit any of West Lothian's Community Recycling Centres (CRCs) you need to book an appointment in advance if you are travelling in:
- A van (liveried, unliveried or hired)
- A pickup
- A flatbed
- A car towing a trailer
Vehicles weighing more than 3.5 tonnes are not permitted. A car and trailer must weigh no more than 3.5 tonnes combined. All seats must be fitted and have a maximum of 8 passenger seats. These vehicles can be driven with a category B driving licence.
This system is for household waste only, commercial access for recycling is not permitted. Please note, we do not accept general waste from businesses, traders or charities at any time.
All five CRCs have time slots available specifically for vans, pickup, flatbeds or cars towing a trailer to visit. These must be booked in advance.
Please read all the information below before booking an appointment.
Before You Book
To make a booking, you must:
- Be a resident of West Lothian
- Bring household waste only - no trade waste
If you turn up in a van, pickup, or flatbed or in a car towing a trailer without a booking you won't be able to enter the CRC.
How Do I Book?
To book an appointment you will need to:
- Agree to the booking terms & conditions
- Enter your postcode, then select your address in West Lothian
- Provide your email address
- Enter the registration of the vehicle you want to visit in*
- State the type of vehicle to intend to bring
- Select the Community Recycling Centre (CRC) you want to visit
- State which type of waste you intend to bring
- Choose an available date and time slot
A booking confirmation will then be emailed to you. Please make sure that you have photo ID and proof of address ready to display when you enter the CRC.
Please note: There are limited spaces available for vans each day. Vans are not permitted on a Sunday. If you cannot select a van slot when booking you will need to select another day or recycling centre. Any change made to your vehicle type after receiving confirmation may result in entry being refused.
*If you're hiring a van, you may not know the registration number when you book. Please amend your booking with the registration of the hire vehicle prior to visiting the CRC using the amend link in your confirmation email. Bring your hire documents with you to the Recycling Centre when you visit.
Before You Travel
- Slots are 40 minutes long. You must arrive promptly at the CRC you have selected, in the vehicle you have booked, on your chosen date.
- Sort your waste before leaving home so that you can unload it as quickly as possible into the correct containers.
- Remember staff will not be able to help you unload- only bring what you can carry.
- Bring your booking confirmation number with you, in electronic form if possible.
- Make sure you bring photo ID and proof of your home address in West Lothian with you.
When You Arrive
You may have to wait before you can enter the site, as we may need to temporarily close at short notice to exchange skips. If there is a queue then the driver should join and will be allowed access.
Please bring the following with you when you visit the recycling centre:
- Photo ID (for example a driving license or passport)
- Proof of your home address in West Lothian (for example a council tax bill, bank statement or utility bill from last 6 months)
- A copy of the hire agreement if your van is hired
Follow the Site Rules when you arrive. Respect staff on site and follow their instructions - they are there to help.