Nursery places for 2 year olds
Find out more information about the Early Learning and Childcare provision for 2 year olds.
Funded 2 year olds places are available at some nurseries, playgroups and childminders. 2 year old Early Learning & Childcare provision is a fun and friendly opportunity for children to make friends and to learn and develop through play. If your child qualifies then they can have funding to attend a placement for up to 1,140 hours. This equates to roughly 22 hours per week if a child attends for 50 weeks of the year or 30 hrs per week if they only attend during school term time.
Your child may qualify if you get one or more of these benefits -
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-based Employment Support Allowance, Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance
- State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credits, but not Working Tax Credit with annual household income below £17,005
- Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credit with an annual household income of £7,920 or less
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit with a monthly household earned income of £660 per month or below (Based on equivalent of £7920 per year) Note: disability allowance is not included as income
or if your child is -
- Looked after
- Under a kinship care order
- Is living with a parent-appointed guardian
- Care experienced or has a parent who is care experienced
or if the family has -
- Graduated from the Family Nurse Partnership (FNP)
The date you child can start depends on when their 2nd birthday falls. Please refer to the table below for guidance.
|Child's birthday falls between||Term start date|
|1 September - 31 December||January Term|
|1 January - 29 February||April Term|
|1 March - 31 August||August Term|
These are the establishments that currently provide 2 year old placements. Availability may vary.
Addiewell PSNC - 50 wks
Holy Family PSNC, Winchburgh - 50 wks
Bathgate EYC - 50 wks
|Knightsridge EYC, Livingston - 50 wks|
Blackridge PSNC - 50 wks
|Inveralmond EYC, Ladywell - 50 wks|
Bridgend PSN - 38 wks
Polbeth Nursery, Polbeth - 50 wks
Boghall PSNC, Bathgate - 38 wks
St Anthony's PSNC, Armadale - 50 wks
Croftmalloch PSNC, Whitburn (PM Only) - 50 wks
St Columba's PSNC, Bathgate - 50 wks
Deans North Nursery, Deans - 50 wks
St Mary's Bathgate PSNC, Bathgate - 38 wks
East Calder PSNC - 50 wks
Torphichen PSNC - 38 wks
Fauldhouse Nursery (PM Only) - 50wks
Whitdale PSNC, Whitburn - 50 wks
Glenvue Nursery, Dedridge - 50 wks
Armadale Community Playgroups, Armadale Community Centre
Crofthead Hickory House Playgroup based in Crofthead Community Centre, Dedridge
Fauldhouse Community Playgroup, Fauldhouse Partnership Centre
Howden Playgroup, Howden St Andrew's Primary School Community Wing
Uphall Community Playgroup based in Uphall Community Centre
West Calder Community Playgroups, West Calder Community Centre
* Note - not all playgroups can provide the full 1,140 hours due to their opening times.
Childminders are available across West Lothian. For further information please contact -
Sonia Watson, Childminding Development Offer
38 weeks - (Term Time only)
A place is Monday to Thursday 08:30-16:00 or 08:00-15:30 (check with nursery for their times)
50 weeks - (Closed on school Christmas Holidays and Public Bank holidays)
There are 3 different type of places outlined below -
- Mornings (AM) - Monday to Thursday 07:47-12:30 and Friday 07:47-11:54
- Afternoons (PM) - Monday to Thursday 12:30-18:14
- 2 full days (2FD) - 08:00-18:00 on 2 days allocated between Monday to Thursday and a short session 3h20m in length on either a Friday morning or a Monday to Thursday afternoon, (allocation of short sessions is dependent on availability).
Playgroups , Private Nurseries and Childminders
Attendance would be agreed between the parent and the provider, must be over a minimum of 38 weeks and no more than 10 hours in any one day.
- A copy or photo of the child's birth certificate or passport.
- If you receive a qualifying benefit you will need to provide the following -
- A copy or screenshots of all pages of your current Universal Credit Statement. We must be able to see:
- Your name, address and assessment period.
- The entire Deductions section from the line "Total Entitlement before Deductions" down to the "Total Deductions" figure.
Income Support, Income-based Jobseekers Allowance, or Income-based Employment Support Allowance
- A copy of a letter from DWP showing which benefit you receive. Alternatively, you can provide a screenshot from your bank statement showing your name and the DWP benefit being paid into your account.
- Copies of all pages of your most recent Tax Credit letter. This letter needs to show that you will be receiving Tax Credit payments in the year you child is eligible to start a 2 year old place.
Apply using the following online form - Application for an Early Learning and Childcare place for a 2 year old
If you are unable to complete an application, staff at - Council Information Service Offices, Family Nurse Partnership team, your health visitor or social worker would be able to support you to access and complete an application, either on-line or as a paper form. You can also request a paper form to be posted to your address by e-mailing the Education Customer Support Team (Pupil Placement).
Email: email@example.com Please state the name of the provision you wish to apply for (so we know which form to send), how many forms you require, and your name and address.
Please complete this form if you have any further information you need to add to an application you've submitted.
You will receive an email response within 4 weeks. If you do not hear from us please get in contact.
Education Customer Support Team (Pupil Placement)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Please include child's name and date of birth.
Telephone: 01506 280000