Nursery places for 2 year olds
Find out more information about the Nursery provision for 2 year olds.
Two year old nursery provision does not start on a child's second birthday, rather their date of birth indicates one of 3 intakes they would be able to start from if their application meets the criteria to qualify.
If a child's second birthday occurs between:
- 01 March and the end of August - they would be eligible to start from the 1st day of the school term in the August (Term 1) the year they turned 2, if their application qualified.
- 01 September and the end of December -they would be eligible to start from the 1st day of term in the January (Term 2) following their 2nd birthday, if their application qualified.
- 01 January and the end of February -they would be eligible to start from the 1st day of term in the April (Term 3) following their 2nd birthday, if their application qualified.
Criteria to qualify is as follows:
- if the child is a 'Looked After Child' (LAC) or is in kinship care
- if the child has a parent appointed guardian through section 7 of the Children (Scotland) Act 1995
- if the child has 'graduated' from the Family Nurse Partnership Programme
- if the child's parent/carer is in receipt of a qualifying benefit
Qualifying benefits are named below:
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
- Employment Support Allowance (income based)
- Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (CTC) but not Working Tax Credit (WTC) and your income is below £17,005
- Both maximum CTC and WTC with income less than £7,920
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit - monthly earned income for your household does not exceed £660
You will find further guidance in:
How to do I apply?
You can apply using the Application for an Early Learning and Childcare place for a 2 year old online form.