Apply for nursery and school places
How to apply for nursery and school places in West Lothian through the Pupil Placement section.
Please note that 'Nursery' - can be also be referred to as 'pre-school', or as 'Early Learning & Childcare(ELC)'.
West Lothian Council provide education as the following :
- Early Learning & Childcare 2 year old provision
- Early Learning & Childcare 3 and 4 year old provision
- Early Learning & Childcare Additional Year (or deferral of P1)
- Primary School Places
- Secondary School Places
Applying for a Place
The Education Customer Support Team (Pupil Placement) deals with all applications for nursery the whole year round, and also deals with applications for the next August primary one (P1) and secondary one (S1) intakes.
Schools deal with school applications for P2-P7 and S2-S6 stages the whole year round, and also deals with applications for P1 and S1 stages for the current school academic year from the month of September onwards.
To apply for a school or nursery place you must complete an on-line application form. If you are unable to complete an on-line application, paper versions of all application forms are available from schools, nursery schools, libraries and Council Information Service Offices. Or you can request a paper form to be posted to your address by e-mailing the Education Customer Support Team (Pupil Placement) at email@example.com , please state the name of the provision you wish to apply for(so we know which form to send), how many forms you require, and your name and address.
Full details of the application process are set out in the Policy documents in Related Documents. Each Provision has:
- application form(which requires to be completed and submitted),
- Policy document (which explains the policy and process for that provision) a
- Guidance notes (which lists establishments that provide this provision and contact details/times for them). 2 year old provisions guidance is in the form of a flowchart.
The Education Customer Support Team (Pupil Placement) has a database with details of children under 19 living in West Lothian. We get information from letters we send to households, from the Health Board when children are born, from application forms and from the schools databases. If we have your child's details on our database we will write to you to ask you to apply for nursery, P1 and S1 at the appropriate times.