Local Government Election 2022 Results

The count for the election will take place at West Lothian College on Friday 6 May 2022. The results will be made available using the link above.

Apply for nursery and school places

How to apply for nursery and school places in West Lothian through the Pupil Placement section.

Please note that 'Nursery' - can be also be referred to as 'pre-school', or as 'Early Learning & Childcare(ELC)'.

West Lothian Council provide education as the following :

  1. Early Learning & Childcare 2 year old provision
  2. Early Learning & Childcare 3 and 4 year old provision
  3. Early Learning & Childcare Additional Year (or deferral of P1)
  4. Primary School Places
  5. Secondary School Places

Applying for a Place 

The Education Customer Support Team (Pupil Placement) deals with all applications for nursery the whole year round, and also deals with applications for the next August primary one (P1) and secondary one (S1) intakes. 

Schools deal with school applications for P2-P7 and S2-S6 stages the whole year round, and also deals with applications for P1 and S1 stages for the current school academic year from the month of September onwards. 

To apply for a school or nursery place you must complete an on-line application form.  If you are unable to complete an on-line application, paper versions of all application forms are available from schools, nursery schools, libraries and Council Information Service Offices. Or you can request a paper form to be posted to your address by e-mailing the Education Customer Support Team (Pupil Placement) at pupilplacement@westlothian.gov.uk , please state the name of the provision you wish to apply for(so we know which form to send), how many forms you require, and your name and address.

Full details of the application process are set out in the Policy documents in Related Documents. Each Provision has:

  • application form(which requires to be completed and submitted),
  • Policy document (which explains the policy and process for that provision) a
  • Guidance notes (which lists establishments that provide this provision and contact details/times for them). 2 year old provisions guidance is in the form of a flowchart.

The Education Customer Support Team (Pupil Placement) has a database with details of children under 19 living in West Lothian.  We get information from letters we send to households, from the Health Board when children are born, from application forms and from the schools databases.  If we have your child's details on our database we will write to you to ask you to apply for nursery, P1 and S1 at the appropriate times.

An image relating to Apply for a Nursery place
Apply for 2 year old Nursery places, please note that applicants must qualify for this before being considered for a place which may be in a council nursery, a partner nursery/playgroup or a childminder. Apply for nursery places for 3 and 4 year olds, or for an additional year of nursery, in a council nursery or for funding to attend a partner nursery or childminder.
Find out how to apply for a place in a Primary School in West Lothian Council, this includes P1 places, out of session or any other stage and applying for a place with specialist provision.
Find out how to apply for a place in a Secondary School in West Lothian Council, this includes S1 places, out of session or any other stage and applying for a place with specialist provision.
Please complete this form if you have any further information you need to add to an application that you've submitted on-line or using a paper form.
Please use this form to submit an appeal for a place at a primary or secondary school where you have applied and been refused a place.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon