Toggle menu

Council Tax for the Armed Forces

Information on Council Tax for those who are members of the armed forces.

Armed forces personnel are liable to pay Council Tax for the property that is their sole or main residence.

If you are required to live in a property as part of your job and your main residence is elsewhere you may be entitled to a 50% Council Tax discount.

Those living in Ministry of Defence accommodation are liable to pay contributions in lieu of Council Tax.

For more information on Council Tax liability please email the Council Tax team (opens new window).  


Deployed Oversees:

If you or someone in your household is deployed oversees there is no reduction in Council Tax available.

The Ministry of Defence will however make a tax-free payment direct to armed forces personnel deployed oversees in relation to Council Tax paid.

For more information about this payment please contact the Ministry of Defence.