Toggle menu

Market Operators' Licence

In terms of Section 40 of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 market operators' require to be licensed. The market operators' licensing scheme is administered by the Council's Licensing Team.

The Licensing Team are able to provide general guidance on the scheme but cannot assist you to complete your application form or provide legal advice on whether a licence is required. You should seek legal advice from a solicitor or advice centre if you are unsure as to whether you require a licence.

Which markets require a licence from the Council?

A market operator's licence is required where it is proposed to carry on a private market. The definition of private market is a market, whether covered or not, carried on by any person other than a local or public authority at which goods are be offered by more than one seller for sale by retail to the public.

This includes car boot sales and farmer's markets.

Which markets do not require a licence from the Council?

A market operator's licence shall not be required for carrying on either of the following:

  • functions held by charitable, religious, youth, recreational, community, political or similar organisations;
  • markets held only for the sale of livestock, fodder or grain.