Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Information and Updates

Updates on council services, latest news and information relating to Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Gambling Premises Licence

West Lothian Licensing Board is responsible for the administration of the Gambling Act 2005 in West Lothian which includes issuing different categories of premises licences.

The impact of the Coronavirus (COVID -19) continues to have a significant impact on the processing of licence applications.

If you need to get in touch with the Licensing Team, please do so by email to the following address email enquiries will be prioritised and responded to on a priority/urgent basis.

In the meantime, applications for licences and permits should be posted along with cheques or postal orders for payment of any fee required and copies of all required supporting documentation to;

Licensing Team
West Lothian Council
Civic Centre
EH54 6FF

If you are unable to post your application and fee please contact the Licensing Team by email.

Please be aware that there will likely be delays in the processing of applications due to changes in working conditions due to the ongoing situation.  

You can apply to the Board for a premises licence for any of the following kinds of premises:

  • adult entertainment centre
  • betting shop
  • bingo
  • family entertainment centre
  • track

Please note that, other than for tracks (see below), you can only apply for a premises licence if you hold an operating licence authorising you to carry out the activity in respect of which the premises licence is sought, or have applied to the Gambling Commission for such an operating licence, in which case your application for a premises licence cannot be determined until the Gambling Commission has issued the relevant operating licence to you.

The Licensing Team is able to provide general guidance on the scheme but cannot assist you to complete your application form or provide legal advice on whether a licence is required. Applicants should consult the gambling licensing webpages for general guidance before making any application.

Applications for operating licences require to be made to the Gambling Commission: Gambling Commission

You do not require to hold an operating licence if you are applying for a premises licence authorising a track to be used for accepting bets.  However, if in relation to the track concerned you will be acting as betting operator or running pool betting, you do require to hold a relevant operating licence or have applied for such an operating licence (as per the above) in order to apply for a premises licence.

For family entertainment centres offering category D machines only, please note that a family entertainment centre gaming machine permit rather than a premises licence is required. You can find further information on applying for an unlicensed family entertainment centre permit on the following page: Gaming Permits

By law your application for a premises licence must be accompanied by a plan which complies with Regulation 4 of The Gambling Act 2005 (Premises Licences and Provisional Statements) (Scotland) Regulations 2007.

Please refer to the Board's policy statement for the period 2019-2022 for further information regarding:

  • Premises Licences in General
  • Principles to be applied in relation to Premises Licences
  • Premises Licence Conditions
  • Door Supervision Condition
  • Specific Classes of Premises Licence
  • Premises Plans
  • Premises Licence Reviews
  • Determination of whether a person is an interested party in relation to a premises licence or an application for or in respect of a premises licence
  • Local Area Profile

From 6 April 2016 applicants for premises licences will require to share their local risk assessments with the Board when applying for a premises licence. Please refer to the following section of the Board's policy statement for the period 2016 - 2019 for further details:

  • Local Risk Assessments


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon