Toggle menu

Animal Boarding Licence

Anyone who operates a premises providing accommodation for animals needs to apply for a licence. No person may keep a boarding establishment without first obtaining a licence from their local authority.


Applying for an Animal Boarding License

Applicants are advised to read the appropriate guidance notes before applying. If you wish to apply for a licence to home board animals, please consult the page on Home Boarding Licences. This can include caring for dogs solely during the day time and does not necessarily have to be overnight accomodation.

If your establishment is a kennels and/or cattery, please read West Lothian Council's guidance on the licence conditions for  dog boarding establishments [314KB]  and/ or  cat boarding establishments [589KB]

Anyone wishing to apply must:

Upon application for a licence, which has not previously been granted, the premises must be inspected by a veterinary surgeon and a local authority officer.  For subsequent applications the local authority has discretion as to whether the inspection is carried out by a veterinary surgeon or a local authority officer or both.  A report following inspection shall be considered by the local authority before determining whether or not to grant a licence.

A separate invoice will be issued to cover the costs for the vet once the inspection has taken place.  On receipt of this being paid and the licence conditions being met your new licence will be sent out. 

Once issued, licences will run until the 31st December of that year.  Licences run from 1st January - 31st December of any one year.

Eligibility Criteria

An applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:

  • Keeping an animal boarding establishment
  • Keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • Keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • Owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006

Waste Management at Animal Welfare Licensed Premises

Please see Expected standards for waste management at licensed animal welfare premises.