Toggle menu

Householder Application

How to apply for planning permission if you intend to alter or extend a house or flat.

Are you sure you need planning permission? Find out from Do I Need Planning Permission? web pages. Whether or not you need planning permission, you might find the council's House Extension and Alteration Design Guide [251KB]  useful. 

You can submit your Householder Application through the Scottish Government ePlanning website (opens new window), ensure you complete the forms correctly and provide the correct fee. Guidance is given on the website along with a downloadable user guide.

If you prefer, you can apply by post by downloading the Householder Application Pack [232KB] .

Please remember, once you have received planning permission, you have to notify us on the date you intend to start your development and also the completion date of your development. Forms can be found on the initiation of development and completion of development date pages.

Application Fees

Type of DevelopmentFee payable
Householder developments
a. The enlargement, improvement or other alteration of existing dwelling houses (house extensions and alterations)£300 for each house up to a maximum of £600 for two or more houses
b. The carrying out of operations, including the erection of a building within the curtilage of an existing dwelling house, for purposes ancillary to the enjoyment of the dwelling house as such (for example, private garage in garden)£300
c. Erection or construction of gates, fences, walls or other means of enclosure along a boundary of the curtilage of an existing dwelling house£300

Concessionary fees Fee payable
Works to improve a disabled person's access to a public building, or to improve access, safety, health or comfort at his/her dwelling houseNo fee
Re-application within 12 months of receiving permissionNo fee