Toggle menu

Full Planning Permission

You will normally need full planning permission for a new building, or if you want to change the use of a building.

You can submit a planning application through the Scottish Government's ePlanning website or if you prefer you can apply by post, by downloading the Full Planning Permission Application Pack [256KB] .

West Lothian Council encourages the use of processing agreements [63KB] . A processing agreement is a formal agreement between the council and the developer for processing a planning application. It should set out the roles and responsibilities of all the parties involved in the application process, and can deliver a number of benefits:

  • More effective and earlier engagement of key stakeholders.
  • Clarity early in the process about information requirements and any matters to be addressed by legal agreement;
  • Clearer lines of communication;
  • Greater predictability and certainty over the timing of key stages;
  • Greater transparency in decision making for everyone involved in the process; and
  • Faster decision making through effective project management with a focus on delivery.

Please remember, once you have received planning permission, you have to notify us on the date you intent to start your development and also the completion date of your development. Forms can be found on the Initiation of development and completion of development pages.