Toggle menu

Alterations and improvements to a building containing flats

If you live in a flat, you will have some permitted development rights for alterations which do not enlarge the building of which your flat is a part.

You will not require planning permission for these types of alterations, provided that:

  • the alteration does not protrude from any outer wall or any part of the roof by more than one metre
  • the existing dimensions of any window or door are not altered (i.e. the window or door is not enlarged - merely replacing the windows or doors within the existing openings don't require planning permission)
  • the alteration does not result in a balcony
  • it does not result in a platform or terrace if located on the roof.

The above permitted development rights don't apply if your building is listed or is located in a conservation area. If it is, you will need to apply for and receive planning permission before you carry out the work.

Some forms of development are covered by other permitted development rights: a biomass heating system flue, an air source heat pump, a wind turbine, and a CCTV camera.

A building warrant might be required for the work you are considering.