Toggle menu

Gates, walls, fences and other means of enclosure

You can erect, replace or improve any gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure without planning permission, provided that:

  • it doesn't exceed one metre in height where it fronts a road, or if it's located forward of the principal elevation of your house, or forward of a side elevation that fronts a road; 
  • it doesn't exceed two metres in height in all other circumstances; or
  • if it's replacing an existing fence, wall or gate that's exceeds the heights quoted above, that it's no higher than the fence, wall or gate that it replaces.

You will need planning permission if your house is a listed building or is located in a conservation area

Please note - if you erect a fence on a retaining wall or other structure, or if the fence is physically tied in to another wall or fence, the height is measured from the lowest point of the entire structure; i.e. if the new fence and the structure it is attached to measures more than two metres from the lowest point at which it can be measured, planning permission will be required.  

A building warrant may be required; we advise that you check before you start work.