Full Planning Permission

A new building, or the change of use of a building or land, normally requires planning permission

The need for planning permission is set down by the Scottish Government; any development will need planning permission unless it is permitted development (minor works that don't impact on the surrounding area), as laid out in the Government's General Permitted Development Order

Pre-Application Advice

If you'd like advice on the acceptability of your proposal before you submit an application we offer a pre-application advice service.

Submitting your application

Submitting your planning application online is quick and easy, using the Scottish Government's e-Planning site; you can also submit by post, using the council's Full Planning Permission Application Pack

Processing Agreements

West Lothian Council encourages the use of Icon for pdf processing agreements. [63.04KB]. A processing agreement is a formal agreement between the council and the developer for processing a planning application. It should set out the roles and responsibilities of all the parties involved in the application process, and can deliver a number of benefits:

  • More effective and earlier engagement of key stakeholders.
  • Clarity early in the process about information requirements and any matters to be addressed by legal agreement;
  • Clearer lines of communication;
  • Greater predictability and certainty over the timing of key stages;
  • Greater transparency in decision making for everyone involved in the process; and
  • Faster decision making through effective project management with a focus on delivery.


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon