Blue Badge Eligibility
The eligibility criteria is set by legislation laid before the Scottish Parliament. The criteria for individuals is split into - "without further assessment" (automatic) , "subject to further assessment" (discretionary) and "risk in traffic" (cognitive).
Organisations who care for elderly or disabled people may also be eligible.
Without further assessment - automatic eligibility
In Scotland, you are automatically entitled to a blue badge if you are over two years old and:
- you are registered blind; or
- you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA); or
- you receive the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (must be either 8,10 or 12 points for Moving Around OR 12 points for Planning and Following a journey; or
- you receive a War Pensioners' mobility supplement; or
- you have received an award under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) within tariffs 1-8.
Please note, all award letters must be dated within the last 12 months.
Subject to further assessment - discretionary
If you do not meet any of the above automatic criteria then you may qualify for a blue badge if you are over two years old and:
- have a permanent and substantial disability which means you are unable to walk or virtually unable to walk; or
- have a temporary, but substantial, disability which means you are unable to walk or virtually unable to walk which is likely to last for a period of at least 12 months but less than 3 years; or
- drive a motor vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms and are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty in operating, parking meters.
If you are applying under one of the above criteria then West Lothian Council may request that you attend an independent mobility assessment as a means of checking your eligibility.
There are special rules for children under the age of three years. A parent or guardian may apply for a badge for their child, if the child:
- has a medical condition requiring the transportation of bulky medical equipment at all times; or
- they must always be kept near a motor vehicle on account of a medical condition so that they can, if necessary, be treated for that condition in the vehicle or taken quickly in the vehicle to a place where they can be so treated.
If you are unsure whether these questions apply to your child then please read the guidance notes accompanying the- if you do not qualify under the automatic criteria but you are unable or virtually unable to walk
Organisational Badges will only be issued to an organisation which both:
- Cares for and transports disabled people who would meet one or more of the eligibility criteria for an individual Blue Badge; and
- Has a clear need for an organisational badge rather than using the personal Blue Badges of people it is transporting.
Risk in Traffic Criteria
To be eligible under this criteria you must have a diagnosed mental health, cognitive or behavioural condition. This includes any mental health problem, personality disorder or learning disability, however caused or manifested. Examples are dementia, autism or Down's Syndrome. You will need to submit:
- A letter confirming your diagnosed mental disorder, cognitive impairment or behavioural condition.
- A completed questionnaire in Section 3 of the application form completed by a registered health care professional.
If all required sections of the application form are not completed fully or the appropriate evidence is not provided then the application may be unsuccessful.
Further information can be obtained by telephoning our Customer Contact Centre on 01506 283000 (option 5) or emailing BlueBadges@westlothian.gov.uk
To make an application for a Blue Badge, please visit Applying for a Blue Badge
- Eligibility Criteria before downloading this form). if you qualify under the automatic criteria - (Please check you have the correct qualifying entitlements here:
- - if you do not qualify under the automatic criteria but you are unable or virtually unable to walk
- - if you think that you may qualify under the risk in traffic criteria.
- - for qualifying organisations.