School Transport - A guide for parents and pupils
Every day over 24,000 children attend schools in West Lothian. Of these, the council transports nearly 6,000 children to secondary and primary schools in a variety of vehicles ranging from double deck buses, to coaches, minibuses and taxis.
School transport services are contracted out to approved bus, coach, taxi and private hire car operators. These pages set out to answer some of the most common questions parents and pupils ask and provide route and timetable information for all bus services. West Lothian Council makes safety on school transport a top priority.
- School Bus Route and Timetable Information 2016/17 Information on free and fare paying school bus routes and timetables.
- School Transport Policy Sections 42 and 51 of the Education (Scotland) Act 1980 require education authorities to provide free transport to a child's catchment school where the walking distance from home is defined as 3 miles or over for all children over eight and 2 miles for children under eight.
- Free School Transport Information on who qualifies for free school transport and how to apply.
- Fare Paying Pupils Information on school transport fares for primary and secondary pupils when free transport does not apply.
- Travelling on the bus Policies and procedures in place for school bus travel.
- Parental Responsibility When a child does not qualify for free transport, it is parental responsibility to ensure the child arrives to and from school safely.