Toggle menu

Registering a Civil Partnership

How to arrange a Civil Partnership

A Civil Partnership may be registered by a registrar, a religious or belief celebrant who has been authorised by the registrar general.

Planning your Civil Partnership Ceremony in West Lothian.

You can have you Civil Partnership Ceremony in either Livingston or Bathgate office or any venue by the Registrar.

You can submit your Civil Partnership Notice between 29 days and 3 months prior to your ceremony.

Booking a Registrar to conduct your Civil Partnership Ceremony

You can book a registrar online for your civil partnership ceremony.

You should contact the Registrar in the district where your ceremony will take place well in advance. This is very important to secure the date and time. Advanced booking is very important for popular venues and times of the year.

For further information, please either call us on 01506 281897/282916, or email us

If you choose

How much does it cost?

What Documents Do I Require?

Regardless of the type of ceremony you are having, you will need to submit the following documents.

  • A civil partnership notice form [529KB] for each party.
  • Birth certificates (translated in to English if necessary)
  • Proof of address i.e. utility bill, dated within the last three months
  • Valid passport
  • If you are travelling from a non EEA country and are non EEA national further documentation will need to be completed please also download and complete a  Declaration of Immigration Status form [23KB] .
  • If you have previously been married, divorce or dissolution documents, or if you are widowed, a copy of your spouses death certificate.
  • If your domicile is abroad, a Certificate Of No Impediment (CONI) issued by the authority in your home town or country to the effect that you are free to marry (translated in to English if necessary)
  • Appropriate fees [99KB]