Toggle menu

Bus Pass

Find out how to apply, renew, replace or update your bus pass and what rail concessions you are entitled to using your bus pass.

Find out about changes to bus passes due to COVID-19 by visiting National Entitlement Card COVID-19 FAQs on the Improvement Service website

Who can apply for a bus pass?

Scotland-wide free bus travel was introduced on 1 April 2006 and entitles anyone aged 60 and over and eligible disabled persons age 5 and over who live in Scotland, to travel free on both local registered services and long-distance bus services within Scotland, without any peak-time restrictions.

The National Entitlement Card scheme also allows for free travel for companions of eligible disabled people of any age (including children under five). More information on companion travel can be found in the companion section on Transport Scotland's website.

You will find details on eligibility criteria and the type of evidence you will be required to produce when applying for a bus pass in the Eligibility section on Transport Scotland's website. You will also find details about the eligibility criteria for companion travel and for those with a visual impairment via Transport Scotland.

Please note, West Lothian Council have no discretionary powers to issue cards to applicants who do not qualify under the stated criteria

From 31 January 2022, all 5 to 21-year old's will be able to travel free on the public bus network in Scotland.  To be able to use this service, 5 to 10-year olds will need to apply for a National Entitlement Card and 11 to 21-year olds will need to apply for a new Young Scot Card.  To find out more about this scheme, please visit Transport Scotland Website

If you are applying or applying on behalf of a child for a National Entitlement Card or Young Scot Card and want the new travel product added to the card, please go to Young Person's Free Bus Travel Scheme for information and guidance on how to apply.

How to apply for a new, or update your current bus pass

Applying online will reduce the amount of time it takes for your application to be processed and sent out.

You can apply online at Get Your NEC website to

  • apply for a new over 60s bus pass
  • apply for a Young Scot card
  • apply for a new disabled bus pass
  • request a photo update
  • request a replacement card
  • apply to renew an expired / expiring card

In person

If you are unable to apply online, and you want to apply for a new bus pass; new Young Scot card; new disabled bus pass; update your photo; replace a lost or stolen card or renew a disabled card that is expired or about to expire, you can book an appointment at a local CIS office and a member of staff will complete your new form for you.  Please call 01506 280150 to book an appointment.

More information about opening times and booking an appointment is available here

Our staff will advise you what documentation to bring to your appointment.


If you are unable to attend a CIS office, you can apply by email.  Please email with the following information.

  • Passport style photograph. (this should be head and shoulders only on a white background with no other objects/people in the background)
  • For new applications proof of photograph is required ie copy of passport or driving license
  • Proof of age.
  • Proof of your current address.
  • Proof of disability entitlement (if required)

You do not need to complete an application form.  If you do not have access to a scanner, we will also accept good quality colour photographs of your evidence. Passport style photographs taken on a mobile device or camera are currently being accepted.


Due to current restrictions, please note that it will take longer to processes your application for a Bus Pass if it is posted to us.  Please post the application with photocopies of all your supporting evidence.  WE DO NOT ACCEPT ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS. You must however include an original up to date passport style photograph with your application. Please ensure the photograph is signed on the back. Send the form, supporting evidence and photograph to the address on the form.

A paper application form is available to download here [166KB]  or you can request a form by calling 01506 280000.

Please post your completed application form along with:

  • Passport style photograph (your photograph should be head and shoulders only on a white background).
  • For new applications proof of photograph is required ie copy of passport or driving license
  • Proof of age.
  • Proof of your current address.
  • Proof of disability entitlement (if required)

Postal address: Financial Support Team, National Entitlement Cards, St David House, South Bridge Street, Bathgate, EH48 1TT

Please do not send original documents to support your application.

Disabled renewals

If you already have a disabled bus pass, you can renew your bus pass online at Get Your NEC website

If you are unable to apply for a renewal online, you can make an appointment at a local CIS office by calling 01506 280150.

You will need to bring with you:

You do not have to complete another application form. Unless your appearance has changed significantly there is no need to supply a photograph for renewal bus passes

Lost Cards

The photograph on your bus pass must be updated every 3 years, if you need a replacement card you can update your photograph and/or request a new card online at Get Your NEC website

If your photograph was taken in the last 3 years and you cannot apply online for a replacement card, please call 01506 280000 and a replacement card will be ordered for you.

A replacement card will be requested and will be sent to the address your card is registered to within 7-10 working days.

You should receive your card within four weeks of applying.

If you require further information on Bus Passes please call 01506 280000 or email

West Lothian Council offers discounted fares to NEC cardholders travelling from West Lothian Stations on ScotRail train services.