Toggle menu


Information on who can appeal, what you can appeal against and how to make an appeal

A ratepayer, or someone authorised to act on their behalf, can make an appeal on the grounds that they are being improperly charged Business Rates.

In the first instance you should write to the councils Revenues Manager clearly setting out your grounds as to why you believe you are being improperly charged Business Rates. The Revenues Manager will review your case and write to advise you of the decision. You can write to the Revenues Manager:

By Email: clearly marking your email as "Business Rates Appeal" 

By post:

Revenues Manager
Revenues Unit
Civic Centre
Howden South Road
EH54 6FF

If you are unhappy with the decision you have the right to make an appeal to the Head of Finance and Property Services. You will be advised on how to do this in the written decision.