Toggle menu

Special Needs Housing

Special needs housing is a general term covering housing built with particular tenant groups in mind. Usually it involves either specially built or adapted housing, for example housing for older or disabled people, or houses linked to some support facility for adults with learning difficulties. It can also refer to houses allocated to particular groups, for example older people.

Terms used to describe particular types of housing include:

Amenity Housing: flats or houses with special modifications for people with particular needs, but not supported to a warden.   For example, amenity housing for older people could include bathroom handrails, non-slip flooring and repositioned electrical sockets

Sheltered Housing: groups of self contained homes linked to a warden who provides specialist support to all of the tenants

Hub or Cluster Flat: a flat where a number of separate individuals hold an individual tenancy, primarily in respect of their respective bedrooms, but share the use of common spaces.   This management arrangement is often used for special needs purposes, for example for people with learning difficulties, with care and support being provided by a specialist agency.

Special needs housing is most often provided by registered social landlords but some provision is also made by Councils.   A list of housing associations in Scotland and the client groups they cater for is available on request from the Scottish Government on 0131 313 0044 from the Scottish Federation of Housing Associations at (opens new window).

Information about the housing options for disabled people is available from:-

Housing Options Scotland
The Melting Pot
5 Rose Street

Tel:  0131 247 1400

Housing Options Scotland - About Us (opens new window)