Nursery places 3year & 4year Olds
Please note that 'Nursery' - can be also be referred to as 'pre-school', or as 'Early Learning & Childcare(ELC)'.
You can apply for 'Nursery for 3 year & 4 year olds' using the Early Learning & Childcare (ELC) 3 and 4 year old provision Application Form.
If a child is classed as a 'Pre-school' child in the academic year, this means that this academic year is the 2nd year of Nursery that they are entitled to as a 3 or 4 year old child.
If a child is classed as an 'Ante Pre-school' child in the academic year, this means that this academic year is the 1st year of Nursery that they are entitled to as a 3 or 4 year old.
Applications are accepted from a child's 2nd birthday.
For Session 2021/2022 (16 Aug 2021- 12 Aug 2022):
- Children with dates of birth between 01 March 2017 and the 28 February 2018 - These children are 'Pre‐school' children in session 2021/22.
- Children with Dates of Birth between 01 March 2018 and the 31 August 2018 ‐ These children are 'Ante Pre‐school' children in session 2021/22.
- Children with Dates of Birth between 01 September 2018 and the 31 December 2018 ‐ These children are 'Ante Pre‐school' children in session 2021/22.
- Children with Dates of Birth between 01 January 2019 and the 28 February 2019 -These children are 'Ante Pre‐school' children in session 2021/22.
Applications for nursery places in session 2021/2022 are considered on an ongoing basis.
For Session 2022/2023 (15 Aug 2022- 11 Aug 2023):
- Children with dates of birth between 01 March 2018 and the 28 February 2019 - These children are 'Pre‐school' children in session 2022/23.
- Children with Dates of Birth between 01 March 2019 and the 31 August 2019 ‐ These children are 'Ante Pre‐school' children in session 2022/23.
- Children with Dates of Birth between 01 September 2019 and the 31 December 2019 ‐ These children are 'Ante Pre‐school' children in session 2022/23 and are eligible for a nursery place as a 3 year old (if they apply) from the 1st day of term in January 2023 (however they may start from their 3rd birthday if they have been advised a place has been allocated prior to their 3rd birthday, staff at the establishment allocated would confirm the start date).
The closing date for nursery places in session 2022/2023 for children within the date of birth ranges stated above has passed.
The School Placement Panel will consider all nursery applications/change requests received by the closing date (08 April 2022), and will issue decision letters for these by the end of May/beginning of June 2022.
- Children with Dates of Birth between 01 January 2020 and the 28 February 2020 -These children are 'Ante Pre‐school' children in session 2022/23 and are eligible for an ELC place as a 3 year old if they apply from the 1st day of term in April 2023 (staff at the establishment allocated would confirm the start date).
The closing date for applications for children within the date of birth range stated above is the 15 November 2022 and decisions letters will be issued by the end of February 2023.
Nursery - Waiting Lists:
Staff at nurseries should not comment on whether they have spaces at their nursery or not, as they do not have anything to do with the allocating or managing of waiting lists. Therefore they do not have all the information required to issue information regarding availability of nursery places.
Nursery waiting lists are only valid for one year, an nursery year runs from mid-August to Mid-August (38 week establishments run Mid-August to end of June). Waiting lists for the following nursery year are made up from initial decisions for that year, and waiting lists from the current nursery year are not taken into consideration in this process. This is because we ask parents to confirm their choices for the August in the February each year, this letter advises that if we do not hear back from the parent, we will assume you are happy where your child is attending and therefore will consider them to continue there for the following nursery year. So any parent who does wish their child to be considered for the choice they are on a waiting list for, needs to request this in an e-mail so that it will be considered for the following nursery year.
If an applicant is not successful in being allocated a place at their 1st choice (nursery or attendance pattern type), then they are added onto this waiting list. Therefore a child can only be on one waiting list, and if a request is received for another choice, without stating that they wish to remain on the waiting list of their current 1st choice, then this new request would change their 1st choice and remove them from the waiting list they were on.
During the course of an nursery year any new applications/change requests which are received and processed, can change the positions of all other applicants already on a waiting list, for that reason we only determine waiting list positions when a place becomes available. We cannot predict when or even if a place will become available as this is reliant on a child already allocated a place to give it up. Also note: all children on the waiting list, at the time a place becomes available, are considered for that place using the 'Admission Guidelines' these determine waiting list positions. If a place becomes available and it is determined at that time that it can be offered to your child, then we will contact you to confirm your choice and to offer your child the place.
2 Full Day attendance - a full place means a child is allocated 2 full days between Monday to Thursday and a short session. However the 2 specific full days allocated to one child determines what other 2 full days are left to be offered to the second child, as there are 4 full days available between Monday to Thursday. Therefore we may be able to offer a 2 full day place but not the specific combination of days requested.