Toggle menu

Listed Building and Conservation Area Consent

Listed buildings and conservation areas are subject to special protection, because of their importance locally or nationally.

Listed buildings are buildings, or structures, which are worthy of retention because of their historical or architectural importance. Historic Environment Scotland (opens new window) is the Government Agency which decides whether a building should be listed, and maintains the list of buildings which are protected in this way. A listed building cannot be altered or demolished without listed building consent from the council. Listed buildings are separated into three categories, A, B and C.

Category A listed buildings are of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).

Category B listed buildings are of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 50% of the total).

Category C listed buildings are of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered, and simple traditional buildings which group well with other listed buildings. (Approximately 42% of the total).

Conservation areas are designated by the council which have special historic or architectural interest. If you live in a conservation area you will need planning permission for almost all extensions and alterations to your house. You will need conservation area consent if you want to demolish, in whole or in part, a building in a conservation area.

You can submit your application for Listed Building Consent or Conservation Area Consent through the ePlanning website, or by using the forms on this page.