Principles Underpinning CLD Practice
CLD has an active role in empowering people individually and collectively to make positive changes in their lives and their communities through learning.
The principles that underpin CLD practice are:
- empowerment increasing the ability of individuals and groups to influence matters affecting them and their communities;
- participation supporting people to take part in decision making;
- inclusion, equality of opportunity and anti-discrimination- recognising some people need additional support to overcome the barriers they face;
- self-determination supporting the right of people to make their own choices; and
- partnership ensuring resources and the range of skills and capabilities available are used effectively.
The purpose and principles are embodied in the competencies, values and ethics for CLD practice as set out by the CLD Standards Council for Scotland.