Skills Training Programme
Our Skills Training Programme is open to 16 to 19 year-old school leavers who need support to move into employment or training.
The programme consists of up to 26 weeks blended learning within our training centre and with local employers. The programme is 5 days per week, with working hours of 9-3 while participating in our centre which is based within Deans CHS Community Wing. Young People will have the opportunity to take up a work placement with a local employer and be provided with the additional skills and experiences to support their progression into further education, training or work. When working with local employers, their hours will be amended to meet the needs of the employer and young person.
Young people will take part initially in a range of personal, core, life and employability workshops to enhance existing skills, qualities and experiences, where they will be invited to complete the West Lothian Employability Award at SCQF Level 4.
- Individual and group training tailored to help young people achieve their goals and meet their potential
- Health and Wellbeing Training and Coaching
- Access to work experience
- Employability Skills Coaching; providing support with CV writing, job / college applications, mock interviews and aptitude test support
- Visits to meet local employers, training provider's and places of Further Education
- Trainees are paid a training allowance. (There will be no allowance paid for sickness absence). The Training Allowance is £75.00 per week.
- Support to apply for their National Entitlement Card. This will provide them with free public travel
- Placements are available in grounds maintenance, care, catering, childcare, customer service/clerical and others.
- A key worker provides support to the trainee throughout their training.
There are 4 intakes per year and referrals are through lead partner agencies such as SDS, MCMC Keyworkers, Youth Justice, and Access to Employment.
For further information about our Skills Training Programme, please contact Lynne Wishart Skills Training Programme Officer on 01506 2810943 or email: Lynne.Wishart@westlothian.gov.uk