National strike action affecting schools
Information on strike action on Thursday 24 November
All council-run schools in West Lothian will be closed on Thursday 24 November 2022.
National strike action by members of the Educational Institute for Scotland (EIS) teaching union and the Association of Headteachers and Deputes in Scotland (AHDS) is still planned for Thursday 24 November. This will result in a significant reduction in staffing levels within schools.
National negotiations are still ongoing, and if they are able to reach an agreement, it is possible that strike action could be called off. In this event, we will notify you as soon as possible via groupcall, with updates on the council's website and social media.
If the planned strike action goes ahead, the following arrangements will be in place:
- All local authority schools (including Additional Support Needs schools) will be closed to pupils
- Pupils will still be able to access previous learning materials online, through Microsoft Teams (P4-S6) or SeeSaw (P1-P3), to study/consolidate prior learning
- All council Early Years/nurseries will remain open on Thursday 24 November
- A £3 per pupil payment will be made to those entitled to free school meals (not universal entitlement) or in receipt of the clothing grant. This should be in bank accounts by Tuesday 29 November.
- Packed lunches will be available to collect from any West Lothian primary school between 11am and 12.30pm, for primary or secondary pupils from any school who require access to food on the day.
I appreciate that the industrial action will cause significant disruption to the learning of our children and young people and that families have had to put alternative arrangements for childcare in place during these days.
I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
Dr Elaine Cook
Depute Chief Executive