Search site

Nationality Checking Service

Registrars cannot give advice on nationality checking matters this will need to be referred to the Home Office. Our Registrars are authorised to review and forward completed citizenship applications to the Home Office. We can also check your passport application at the same time as your citizen application for an additional cost.

Please note: West Lothian Council's Nationality Checking Service cannot provide advice on nationality matters. If you require advice on nationality then please visit the Home Office Website

The registrar will review the documents you bring with you and photocopy all the relevant documents that need to be sent to the Home Office.

It is not the registrars responsibility to ensure that you have all the relevant information, if you have any concerns it is your responsibility to contact the Home Office.

Appointments are held on a Tuesday and Thursday in our Bathgate Registration Office, this can be booked by completing the online form.

Please complete a separate form for each applicant applying including children.

If the application is for a child then at least one parent must have settled status. (When completing the application form tick yes for both indefinite leave to remain and life in the UK test this will allow you to proceed with the application).

 All appointments must be made in person.

Once we have received your completed application form we will contact you with our first available appointment. (Please allow at least 24 hours for a registrar to contact you) If you then wish to proceed with the appointment the booking fee will be payable at this point.

If the application is for more than one person then an appointment will need to be booked for each person these are on average an hour each.

Please ensure before applying that you have all the relevant documents, as this would entail having to make a further appointment which would incur an additional appointment charge. 

Using the National Checking Service is optional. You can apply directly to the Home Office or use a solicitor or other agent. You can find out more about applying for British Citizenship by visiting the Home Office Website .