Toggle menu

Licensing Requirements for the King's Coronation

Information on licences which may be required for events organised for the King's Coronation.

If you are organising an event for the King's Coronation you may need a licence and other permissions. The licensing law in Scotland is different from that in England and Wales so if you are looking at any guidance make sure you have the Scottish version.

Depending on what is planned to take place at your event the following are some examples of the licences/permissions which may be required -

  • A public entertainment licence, if organised entertainment is taking place in a public place;
  • A market operator's licence or street trader's licence if items are being sold or services offered at a cost in a public place (e.g. hair braiding, face painting etc)
  • Permission to close a roadway for a street party (this is dealt with by Operational Services see Occupation of a Road for an Event)

Please consult the Events - Licensing Requirements webpage which has details of the types of licences and permissions which may be required from the council and has links to all the relevant webpages. You will also separately need permission from the owner of the land.

Since the Licensing Board policy contains very generous licensed hours for licensed premises within West Lothian it has no plans to make a general extension of licensed hours for the Coronation weekend.

If food is being sold you may need to register with Environmental Health as a food business.

The Licensing Team is able to provide general guidance on the licensing schemes administered by our team but we cannot assist you to complete your application form and we cannot provide legal advice on whether a licence is required. You should seek legal advice from a solicitor or advice centre if you are unsure as to whether you require a licence.