Commercial Bulky Uplifts
Commercial Bulky Uplifts
West Lothian Council runs a service to collect commercial articles that are too large to be placed in your wheeled bin for all commercial properties within West Lothian.
From 1st April 2017 the commercial bulky uplift service costs a minimum of £89.00 an hour (subject to a quote on inspection).
How do I request an uplift and make a payment
If you have a credit or debit card simply contact us on (01506) 280000, a member of staff will take your details, process the payment and arrange the uplift.
Alternatively you can pay by cash or cheque at any of the council information offices and an adviser there will take the details of your uplift. They will need your telephone number in case the Waste Services staff need to get in touch with you to notify you of any change to the uplift date.
Make sure you tell us about everything you want taken - we can't uplift things that are not on our list. Please ensure that you give clear instructions on where the item/s to be uplifted will be left.
When will my items be collected?
Household uplifts will normally take place within seven working days from the date of your request. Collection times are:
- Monday - Thursday: 7am to 2pm
- Friday: 7am to 1pm
- You will need to have all your items outside by 7am.
How do I prepare my items?
- All items are placed at ground level.
- Timber and laminated flooring should be maximum of 6ft length and 1ft wide. It should be tied or taped into manageable bundles. There must be no protruding nails or screws.
- All glass objects such as mirrors, television screens and any other glazed units must first be taped before the item is uplifted, this to prevent it from breaking during transit.
Glass Table (good)
Glass Table (bad)
Mixed Items (good)
Mixed Items (bad)
Wall Mirror (good)
Wall Mirror (bad)
Where do I leave my items?
- All items listed for uplift should be left together in an area outside which is accessible from 7am in the morning. Unfortunately we cannot uplift items from inside your property.
- Fridges and Freezers are uplifted on a Saturday by a separate collection vehicle and must be left out before 6am. Fridge doors must be taped shut.
What items will not be uplifted?
There are some types of material that for health and safety reasons, or because they may damage the mechanism on the collection vehicles, that may be unsuitable for an uplift.
Items that CANNOT be uplifted:
|Items||Where item can be disposed|
|General refuse bags||Separate your waste for recycling and take to your Local Recycling Centre|
|Cast iron washing poles with concrete bases||Bring this to your Local Recycling Centre or search online for local specialist waste contractors|
|Cement||Bring this to your Local Recycling Centre or search online for local specialist waste contractors|
|Supermarket trolleys||Please contact the respective retailer to arrange uplift for these. There is no charge to the public for these services. For more information visit Report Fly-tipping|
|Garage doors||Bring this to your Local Recycling Centre or search online for local specialist waste contractors|
|Garden rollers||Bring this to your Local Recycling Centre or search online for local specialist waste contractors|
|Safes||Bring this to your Local Recycling Centre or search online for local specialist waste contractors|
|Cast iron baths||Bring this to your Local Recycling Centre or search online for local specialist waste contractors|
|Branches||Bring this to your Local Recycling Centre or search online for local specialist waste contractors|
|Grass clippings or other organic garden waste||Bring this to your Local Recycling Centre|
|Gas cylinders (from households only)||Bring this to your Local Recycling Centre|
|Motor oil (from households only)||Bring this to your Local Recycling Centre or search online for local specialist waste contractors|
|Car batteries (from households only)||Bring this to your Local Recycling Centre or search online for local specialist waste contractors|
|Clinical or any hazardous waste (from households only)||Please contact Customer Services(Opens in a new window) with details of your waste or search online for local specialist waste contractors|
|Storage heaters, electric heaters and gas appliances (from households only)||Some of these may contain asbestos. West Lothian Council does not provide an asbestos removal service and we have no facilities licenced to accept asbestos. Visit the the asbestos information page for more information.|
Donating items to Home Aid West Lothian
- We sponsor a local charity called Home Aid West Lothian, which takes good quality, unwanted goods such as furniture, kitchenware and bedding etc and passes it on to needy people in the area. To arrange for an uplift call the charity direct on 01506 652230.