Search site

Planning Enforcement

We investigate and can enforce alleged breaches of planning control.

The council supports good neighbour relations and the purpose of planning enforcement is to resolve a problem which has arisen because of unauthorised development rather than punish a mistake.

Where allegations are made that a development has been carried out without the necessary consent, or that conditions attached to a planning application are not being complied with, we will investigate and seek to resolve any breaches of planning control that may have occurred and, if necessary, can actively seek to enforce the terms of those conditions.

The council's pdf icon Enforcement Charter [460kb] gives information on the enforcement process and what action the council can take over a breach of planning control.

The planning enforcement team has powers to investigate:

  • Development carried out without planning permission
  • Breaches of conditions of planning consents
  • Other planning matters which give rise to concern over residential amenity
  • Unauthorised works to a tree protected by a Tree Preservation Order
  • Unauthorised works to a listed building
  • Unauthorised advertisements (note - we don't control the content, wording or images used in an advertisement. For that you will need to contact the Advertising Standards Authority.)

What the planning enforcement team cannot investigate:

  • Land ownership and boundary issues - these are not planning matters, and are normally dealt with by a solicitor. If the property is owned by the council, you should contact Property Services.
  • Issues not covered by planning legislation, such as noise issues. If we receive a complaint which is dealt with by another service in the council or an external agency, we will pass it on to the appropriate service.

Report a breach of planning control

If you think that a breach of planning control has occurred and you would like us to investigate, please use the Enforcement Complaint form

If you prefer you can write to us at: Planning Services (Enforcement), West Lothian Civic Centre, Howden South Road, Livingston, EH54 6FF.

Please note - the Planning Enforcement service is in the process of replacing the software it uses for recording and tracking enforcement complaints. The new software is expected to be in place at the end of July 2017; while it is being installed and configured the enforcement service will not be able to meet its normal service standards, although we will do our best to acknowledge new complaints and deal with them as quickly as possible. 

Enforcement Register

You can view pdf icon the current enforcement register [37kb], which gives details of all notices served by West Lothian Council so far this year. It will be updated whenever a new notice is served.

You can also view the pdf icon 2015 register [65kb] and the pdf icon 2016 register. [60kb].