Search site

Advice for residents

The Welfare Reform changes, such as the move to monthly payment with the Universal Credit and occupancy rules, could be difficult for some people to cope with.

The advice is not to panic, as advice is available and there are steps that you could consider to help you cope better with the Welfare Reform changes.

  • Join a Credit Union and try saving a small amount every week. Credit Unions provide a safe and convenient place to save your money and allows you access to low cost loans.
  • Open a bank account if you don't already have one. Most banks have basic bank accounts which will allow you to pay bills by direct debit.
  • Keep a budget and record your spending like your weekly food shopping, electricity bills and rent.
  • If you are already finding it difficult to pay debts and they are mounting up, contact the Advice Shop or Citizens Advice Bureau and they will help you look at options to make things more manageable.
  • Check your housing options.
  • People of working age need to apply for the new Universal Credit and other benefits online. There is free access to the internet at local libraries. Staff will also be able to advise you on what courses might be available if you need to learn how to use computers.
  • Contact Access2Employment for support.